Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Just start

The other day I was chatting with my friend about my dream of designing patterns under my own label. I've put a few together in the computer but no samples or directions are written, much less anything actually printed! So I said to her "I just don't know what to start with or how to go about it." She very wisely said "Just start".

I was told that several years ago by another friend while on a retreat. I had mentioned the same dream to her and she said "Just start". I'm not kidding.

I have lots of reasons why I have yet to "just start." Most of them are quite legitimate such as

- we have been remodeling our home in preparation for sale and to move out of state and weekends are very busy.
- I have committed to designing some patterns for a publisher and those need to be accomplished at some point.
- I continue to get longarm quilting work and since I need the income, I do not feel I can refuse it to "just start".
- I recently agreed to work from home for a rather well known quilting outfit and am obligated to do the work for which I am being paid!

Another aquaintance told me that if I really want to do this, I need to set aside one day a week and work for myself. She's right.

I find that when I continually put off attempting to follow my dream, even if it's only one day a week I begin to feel frustrated and discouraged. So, this blog is for me. Even if nobody else reads it, it will serve to remind me in black and white that I will commit to working just one day a week for myself. I pick Wednesday. I know that I will not be able to spend the WHOLE day working for me, but I am determined to make it most of the day!

As for what to start with - I know I want a new Spring tablerunner for one of my tables and I want to use some of the beautiful pre-cut fabrics that I have been hoarding. So by tomorrow evening, I intend to post a picture of progress made on that project. Still have no idea what it will be yet...let the creativity begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment